BXT AI4 too harsh on small stars?

I love the new AI4, but have been noticing that small stars are really taking a hit from both "Correct only" and sharpening.

Already used "Correct only":

1703080300356.png

After applying theese settings:
1703080390522.png

I get theese results:
1703080417726.png

I know I am pixelpeeping here, but I would really judge the small stars to be too much sharpened here - especially considering the low settings beeing used.

Am I doing something wrong?

In fact, I set the sharpening to 0.00 and the halo reduction to 0.00. THe nonstellar was also set to 0.00. AI4 still did something bad to the stars:

1703080669803.png

The stars loose dynamic range and become "flat topped".

Hello Petter,

Your image looks stretched. If that's the case then it is wrong as a deconvolution tool like Blurxterminator must be used on a linear image (because it is using a psf of your stars).

Nico

Hello Petter,

Your image looks stretched. If that's the case then it is wrong as a deconvolution tool like Blurxterminator must be used on a linear image (because it is using a psf of your stars).

Nico
Yes, they are stretched! I will try with unstretched images!

Previous AI´s have been working great as a star reduction tool even after stretching though.

Yes, they are stretched! I will try with unstretched images!

Previous AI´s have been working great as a star reduction tool even after stretching though.
According to RC, AI4 should not be used on stretched images.
I now apply a first pass to correct stars on combined RGB + other channels (L, Ha,...) which does wonders ; and then a second pass on RGB to shrink stars (+ other channels if needed). All this in linear stage.
My 2 cents...

According to RC, AI4 should not be used on stretched images.
I now apply a first pass to correct stars on combined RGB + other channels (L, Ha,...) which does wonders ; and then a second pass on RGB to shrink stars (+ other channels if needed). All this in linear stage.
My 2 cents...
All good! I did not realise it was linear only. I can always use the old AI´s for that if needed but I will try to stick to the linear usage.

All good! I did not realise it was linear only. I can always use the old AI´s for that if needed but I will try to stick to the linear usage.
It's worth spending 5-10 mins reading the documentation that was written for BXT AIV4. Click on the page icon after you open BXT.
Russ explains in great detail how the process works, why you should not use stretched images, and different processing scenarios. It will give you a much better understanding of how to use this amazing tool.

Of note he explains why the Correct First and Nonstellar then Stellar buttons will go away in future versions because they are no longer needed.

Of note he explains why the Correct First and Nonstellar then Stellar buttons will go away in future versions because they are no longer needed.
Oh! That will be interesting. I kind of like to have some control over the process though, sometimes I wish I had more options - not less :)

Back